Sharing the human spirit through friendship
Our world faces many challenges, crises and forces of division — such as poverty, violence, and human rights abuses — among many others — that undermine peace, security, development and social harmony among the world's peoples.
To confront those crises and challenges, their root causes must be addressed by promoting and defending a shared spirit of human solidarity that takes many forms — the simplest of which is friendship.
Through friendship — by accumulating bonds of camaraderie and developing strong ties of trust — we can contribute to the fundamental shifts that are urgently needed to achieve lasting stability, weave a safety net that will protect us all, and generate passion for a better world where all are united for the greater good.
The International Day of Friendship was proclaimed in 2011 by the UN General Assembly with the idea that friendship between peoples, countries, cultures and individuals can inspire peace efforts and build bridges between communities.
The resolution places emphasis on involving young people, as future leaders, in community activities that include different cultures and promote international understanding and respect for diversity.
To mark the International Day of Friendship the UN encourages governments, international organizations and civil society groups to hold events, activities and initiatives that contribute to the efforts of the international community towards promoting a dialogue among civilizations, solidarity, mutual understanding and reconciliation.
The International Day of Friendship is an initiative that follows on the proposal made by UNESCO defining the Culture of Peace as a set of values, attitudes and behaviours that reject violence and endeavour to prevent conflicts by addressing their root causes with a view to solving problems. It was then adopted by the UN General Assembly in 1997.
Picture: Adolescent boys practice parkour — athletic manoeuvres around obstacles — in Gaza. ©UNICEF/NYHQ2014-2063/Romenzi
- 07.08.2020 A cat detained at Sri Lanka's main prison while allegedly trying to smuggle drugs and cell phone SIM cards has escaped,...
- 07.08.2020 Котка, задържана в затвор в Шри Ланка, докато се опитвала да "внесе контрабандно" наркотици и СИМ карти в него, успяла да се...
- 07.08.2020 Китайски съд обяви днес, че е осъдил канадски гражданин на смърт за транспортиране и производство на наркотици. Това е втори...
- 07.08.2020 A Chinese court said on Friday it had sentenced a Canadian to death for transporting and manufacturing drugs, the second...
- 07.08.2020 Разкрито е гнусното убийство във врачанското село Търнава, пише BulNews. След денонощна работа местните криминалисти...