Voters want MPs to be tested for drugs and booze before they take their seats in the House of Commons.
75% of us think MPs should be forced to prove they are sober before voting on important decisions, an AirMyOpinion poll found.
It comes after Deputy Speaker Lindsay Hoyle claimed there is a major drink and drug problem amongst politicians.
Martin Smith, a psychotherapist who deals with addictions, claimed the substance abuse was due to the nature of the job.
He said: “High achievers are normally one of two extremes; clean living or substance users.“There’s an argument that one might want to use substances to help with the emotional impact of their job.“I also think a lot of them may actually be quite isolated - living in flats away from their families and home towns, so they use alcohol to combat that.
“There may well be higher levels of usage than one might expect.”
Dr Robert Lefever, an addiction specialist who has treated numerous MPs over the years, said: “MPs and peers face the same challenges as anyone else does, and that’s the way it should be.
“One in six people have an addictive nature, so it’s reasonable that many MPs or members of the House of Lords will as well.”
On Wednesday Chorley MP Sir Lindsay shocked Westminster when he revealed there was an alcohol problem in Parliament.He said: “I do think there is a drink problem and I think it needs to be addressed and the support needs to be given, that’s why health and wellbeing has got to be extended.”
“It’s not just drink we’ve got to catch out, there is a drug problem, and I genuinely believe that counselling and real support should be available for all staff and members.
“I don’t believe that somebody who walks in here may not be tempted into drugs, and what I’m saying is that we should have health and wellbeing in place for drink and drug counselling and real support for anybody.”
- 04.08.2020 Арестуваха 12 души в градовете Девня и Суворово, двама от които са обявени за общодържавно издирване, съобщиха от...
- 04.08.2020 В гр. Разград на 03.08.2020г. е извършено претърсване и изземване в апартамент, обитаван от 23-годишен младеж, съобщават от...
- 04.08.2020 Прокуратурата подхвана двамата, умува дали да ги обвини за наркоразпространение20-годишният Пламен Гьонев от Стара Загора е...
- 04.08.2020 Полицията извършва непрекъснат контрол по пътищата с цел спиране на водачи, които си карат, без притеснения, под...
- 04.08.2020 36-годишна жена от силистренското село Правда нападнала медицинска сестра, която оказвала помощ на болен пациент, съобщиха...